What is GATE?
- The Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering (GATE) is an all-India examination administered and conducted in eight zones across the country by the GATE 2016 Committee comprising faculty from Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore and seven Indian Institutes of Technology on behalf of the National Coordinating Board – GATE, Department of Education, Ministry of Human Resources Development (MoHRD), and Government of India.
#GATE 2016 Test Conduction
- GATE is generally conducted on the second Sunday of February every year and the results announced in the middle of March.
How to apply for @GATE?
- There is only one way by which candidates can apply for GATE 2016 examination – Online.
@GATE 2016 Examination Structure
A candidate can apply for only ONE of the 21 papers
- The candidate is expected to appear in a paper appropriate to the discipline of his/her qualifying degree.
- The candidate is; however, free to choose any paper according to his/her admission plan, keeping in mind the eligibility criteria of the institutions in which he/she wishes to seek admission.
About #Gate 2016
Pattern of Question Papers and Marking Scheme
- The examination will be carried out ONLINE.
- For all papers, the candidates will have to mark the correct choice on an Optical Response Sheet (ORS) by darkening the appropriate bubble against each question.
- In the ONLINE papers, the question paper will consist of questions of multiple choice type and numerical answer type. For multiple choice type questions, each question will have four choices for the answer. For numerical answer type questions, each question will have a number as the answer and choices will not be given.
@GATE 2016 would contain questions of four different types in various papers:
- Multiple choice questions carrying 1 or 2 marks each.
- Common data questions, where two successive questions use the same set of input data.
- Linked answer questions, where the answer to the first question of the pair is required in order to answer its successor.
- Numerical answer questions, where the answer is a number, to be entered by the candidate.
- Examples of such questions can be found in Question Types.
In all the papers, there will be a total of 65 questions carrying 100 marks, out of which 10 questions carrying 15 marks in General Aptitude (GA) are compulsory.
- In the papers bearing the codes AE, AG, BT, CE, CH, CS, EC, EE, GG, IN, ME, MN, MT, PI, TF and XE, the Engineering Mathematics will carry 15 % of the total marks, the General Aptitude section will carry 15 % of the total marks and the remaining 70 % of the total marks is devoted to the subject of the paper.
- In the papers bearing the codes AR, CY, GG, MA, PH and XL, the General Aptitude section will carry 15 % of the total marks and the remaining 85 % of the total marks is devoted to the subject of the paper.
About Gate 2016
33 % of Negative marking in applicable. Eg: 1 mark MCQ-1/3 mark will be deducted for a wrong answer. Similarly for 2 marks multiple choice questions, 2/3 mark will be deducted for a wrong answer.
How GATE 2016 score is calculated?
Expansion of equation:
ag = Global average of marks of all candidates who appeared across all papers and years
sg = global standard deviation of marks of all candidates who appeared across all papers and years
m = marks obtained by the candidate.
a = average of marks of all candidates who appeared in the paper mentioned on this scorecard in GATE
s = standard deviation of marks of all candidates who appeared in the paper mentioned on this scorecard in GATE
The maximum score can be attained is 1000.
- The evaluation of the ORS is carried out by a computerized process using scanning machines, with utmost care. Requests for revaluation of the answer script and re-totaling of marks will not be entertained.
- GATE 2016 score card is valid for three years.
About Gate 2016
GATE 2016 Eligibility
- Bachelor’s degree holders in Engineering/Technology/ Architecture (4 years after 10+2) and those who are in the final year of such programs.
- Bachelor’s degree holders in Engineering/Technology/Architecture (Post-B.Sc./Post-Diploma) and those who are in the final year of such programs.
- Master’s degree holders in any branch of Science/Mathematics/ Statistics/Computer Applications or equivalent and those who are in the final year of such programs.
- Candidates in the second or higher year of the Four-year Integrated Master’s degree program (Post-B.Sc.) in Engineering/Technology.
- Candidates in the fourth or higher year of Five-year Integrated Master’s degree program or Dual Degree program in Engineering/Technology.
- Candidates with qualifications obtained through examinations conducted by professional societies recognized by UPSC/AICTE (e.g. AMIE by Institute of Engineers (India); AMICE by Institute of Civil Engineers (India)) as equivalent to B.E./B.Tech. Those who have completed section A or equivalent of such professional courses are also eligible.
Advantages of Gate 2016
PSU/ Government Jobs – Direct calls
- NTPC, BHEL, BARC, IOCL, Power Grid calls for interview based on GATE 2016 score, In future most of the PSUs companies will consider GATE score for recruitment
Government Sector Jobs entrance exams
- DRDO, ONGC, SAIL, BSNL-JTO, HAL, NAL, HPCL etc – more than 10,000 vacancies, Syllabus is subset of GATE 2016 syllabus. Hence GATE 2016 preparation enough to crack these exams. Research based jobs- DRDO, Job stability & high paying salary – E.g… 7 lacs per annum – IOCL (Employment News is the source of information )
Private Sectors Jobs – Interview
- GATE score helps students during campus placement. More no. of GATE qualifiers establishes.
MBA: Admission in NITIE, Mumbai
- Industrial Engineering program in top 10 institute of the country Admissions to IIMs: Fellow ship program
- Fellowship program is equivalent PhD. Stipend: 22000/- per month Study Abroad: Singapore, Germany & New Zealand
- NUS, NTU Singapore accepts GATE 2016 score
Better Academic Results
- Pre-final / final year students
Advantage of GATE 2016
Mandatory for self-financing students
- Students with GATE 2016score are preferred as they create funds for Private colleges.
Project Assistance ship at NTs /HSc and NITs
- Students with lower GATE 2016 score but have zeal to do research get opportunity in labs of Premier institutes. Students can get into MS course from Assistance ship
Higher Technical Education- ME, MTech, MS & PhD
- HSc, HTs, NITs, Central University, Govt. Colleges, Private colleges more than 10,000 seats,
- Stipend 8000/- per month (Masters) & 16000/- per month (PhD)
Other PG Entrance Exams in India
|Name of the Exam||Type of Exam||Syllabus||Examination Dates||No. of Seats|
|GATE- National Level Exam||Objective-MCQ (negative marking)||Standard University Syllabus + General Aptitude||February||>9,000|
|State Level Exam||Objective-MCQ (no negative marking)||Same as GATE||June-July||>2000|
|University PG entrance||Objective- MCQ||Same as GATE||June – July||>1500|
|HSc. Entrance Exams||Objective + Subjective||Same as GATE||May-June||>200|
|HTs Entrance Exams||Objective + Subjective||Same as GATE||May-June||>1000|
Guidelines For Gate
- In GATE, candidates need to register and fill the application ONLINE only by accessing the GATE websites
of HSc and seven NTs. (Refer Counselor Guide of complete info)
Pre-final Year Students
- Pre-final year students are not eligible to write GATE 2016. Admit Card
- Admit card can be downloaded ONLY from the zonal GATE 2016 websites.
- Candidates will not be permitted to take the test if original and valid photo identification is not presented.
Can you list the zones of the prestigious I IT institutes?
- GATE2016 is conducted through the constitution of eight zones. The zones and the corresponding administrative institutes are:
- Zone 1 – Indian Institute of Science Bangalore
- Zone 2 – Indian Institute of Technology Bombay
- Zone 3 – Indian Institute of Technology Delhi
- Zone 4 – Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati
- Zone 5 – Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur
- Zone 6 – Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur
- Zone 7 – Indian Institute of Technology Madras
- Zone 8 – Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee
How many times can I attempt GATE?
- Number of attempts is not restricted. The best of the valid GATE 2016 score is accepted which we provide in application form. The GATE 2016 score is valid for 3 years.
Is there age limit for taking GATE 2016 examination?
- There is no age limit.
Eligibility in terms of percentage marks to take up the GATE 2016 examination?
- The candidate should have a PASS certificate from a recognized university.
What is the time required to prepare for GATE 2016 examination?
You can spend 6-12 months to prepare for GATE
Can you provide the Engineering Colleges admission procedures?
- There are around 300 colleges and therefore cutoffs are not often revealed by institutes. You can refer to Post gate 2016 admission guide which lists cutoffs for various lISc, IITs and NITs time to time.
What is the placement scenario and how much they do the companies offer?
- This is a dynamic kind of information that varies with stream, specialization, the institute and the industry with every particular year.
What are the options for a Mechanical Engineering student to o for software specialization of any related subject?
- Post gate admission guide will give you a better idea of what branches are interdisciplinary. However, the details vary from institute to institute. In general if you are changing branches, your admission will be possible in interdisciplinary specializations only.
Which I IT is conducting GATE 2016 this year?
- It varies from year to year. GATE 2016 was conducted by IISc banglore.
Can a person holding MBA in [Information Systems] be eligible to GATE?
- The basic requirement for GATE is an Engineering degree or MSc. If the person has an engineering degree, he can give the exam, otherwise not possible If a candidate appears for GATE twice which score will be considered?
- The higher score you have secured of the two will be considered automatically once you fill-up the form. Can you tell us the Fee and stipend details of various institutes?
- Fees – Rs. 25,000 to 52,000 per annum.
- Stipend – Rs. 12400/- per month (Masters) & 20000/- per month (PhD). Admission brochure can be referred for more details of the particular institute. Give us the details of reservation in various institutes?
- All reservations will be considered as mandatory by the law. Can you tell us the typical Cut-off Marks?
- The following can be considered as tentative cut-off marks:
Above 55-IITs, IISc
Above 50-PSU calls
Visit us at
Visit us at
mail us at